Editor’s note: The following story was prepared by My Plates
The man honored as an official 12THMAN in front of 88,000 roaring Aggies didn’t even know it was coming. Dan Moran was just excited he was getting to attend the college game of the season at Kyle Field, home of the 12THMAN, as a proud member of the Class of 2003.
Then in the second quarter, Moran found himself in the company of Governor Rick Perry, as they made their way toward the east end zone. There, Moran was joined by Texas A&M University President R. Bowen Loftin, Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Board Chairman John Walker III, and My Plates President Steve Farrar. Walker presented Moran with the one and only 12THMAN license plate.
Texas A&M Regent Tony Buzbee, Class of 1990, former Marine Corps infantry officer and winner of the 12THMAN Plate Auction, won the plate with a bid of $115,000 Thursday and instructed that the plate be given to Moran.
“Dan Moran epitomizes what it is to be a 12THMAN, not only to Texas A&M University, but to our country,” says Buzbee.
Moran earned both his undergraduate and MBA degrees from Texas A&M. As an undergraduate, he participated in the A&M Corps of Cadets as a Combined Aggie Band Commander. After graduation, Moran survived serious injuries during his two combat tours in Operation Iraqi Freedom, earning him the award of Purple Heart and the Navy Commendation Medal with Valor. He medically retired as a Captain from the United States Marine Corps and is now Chairman and CEO of Moran Enterprises.
Buzbee says, “Dan exemplifies the spirit of the 12THMAN and has lived a life of honor, courage and commitment – all hallmarks of Aggie Leadership.”
The $115,000 paid for the exclusive 12THMAN plate will go to Texas A&M University and the General Revenue Fund of Texas.
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Board Chairman and member of A&M Class of 76, John Walker III, said, “The TxDMV is proud to have been a part of this unique opportunity in Texas A&M history. Even if you aren’t lucky enough to be an Aggie, this is a great moment for everyone since 69% of the money raised in the 12THMAN auction goes into the State’s general revenue fund which helps pay for services for all Texans, and the remaining 31% will go to fund scholarships at Texas A&M. It is programs and innovative thinking like this that puts Texas out front of other states.”
My Plates President Steve Farrar says, “Much credit for the success of this event goes to our partners at Texas A&M University. Their call to Aggie fans has resulted in a runaway auction record in the State of Texas, and their fans make A&M license plates a top seller year-round. We feel fortunate to be a part of this remarkable display of pride in the 12THMAN tradition.”
As soon as the 12THMAN Auction ended, My Plates launched the CLASS Auction. This time, there are 100 plates up for bids, rather than one. The 100 messages are the series of CLASS 00 to CLASS 99.
Whereas 12THMAN targeted Aggies, the CLASS Auction plates could be significant to graduates of all kinds, high school, college, culinary school, boot camp, law enforcement academy–you get the idea. The CLASS messages can be purchased on any of My Plates’ 36 designs that hold 7 characters. Here are a few examples:
Since November 2009, Texans have purchased more than 160,000 My Plates, putting more than $19.1M in the general revenue fund, which helps pay for services for all Texans. Texas A&M-related proceeds from My Plates have supported championship opportunities for Aggie student-athletes, both in the classroom and in competition, as well as funding for the Corps of Cadets and the Bonfire Memorial.
Contact Kim Miller Drummond at (512) 423-4237 or firstname.lastname@example.org.