July 12, 2013

Loftin Announces Plans For The Future

Dr. R. Bowen Loftin today announced that he will step down as president of Texas A&M University effective January 13, 2014.

President R. Bowen Loftin

President R. Bowen Loftin

“Dr. Loftin has led Texas A&M University through a tremendous period of growth and advancement, ranging from the move to the SEC to over $700 million in research to the largest freshman class in the school’s history this fall,” said Phil Adams, chairman of The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents. “His service and commitment to Aggieland is appreciated and will long be remembered.”

Loftin was hired in February 2010 after serving eight months as interim president. Under Loftin’s leadership, Texas A&M has grown to record numbers, with student enrollment exceeding 50,000 students. Loftin has navigated the university through numerous milestones and is presently overseeing the merger with the Health Science Center and acquisition of Texas Wesleyan Law School. Prior to his appointment as President of Texas A&M, he served as a Vice President of the university and the CEO of Texas A&M University at Galveston.

“Loftin embodies the Aggie Core Values. We owe him an extreme debt of gratitude for his steadfast leadership and guidance, which has elevated Texas A&M into one of the best universities in this country,” said John Sharp, chancellor of the Texas A&M System. “He is absolutely at the top of his game and we look forward to his continued service.”

With his resignation, Dr. Loftin will be returning to the faculty and will serve as a tenured professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering in the Dwight Look College of Engineering. The university also plans to assist Loftin in establishing an institute that will focus on advanced, state-of-the-art modeling and simulation in human behavioral modeling in terrorist organizations and the spread of diseases among human and animal populations.

In a statement, Dr. Loftin offered the following:

“Since returning to Texas A&M in 2005 as a Vice President, my greatest joy has always been found in our students.  My love for them and for this extraordinary institution has never been stronger.  That being said, I do miss the opportunity to teach and do research—activities that have characterized my long career in higher education.  I look forward to teaching and mentoring “my” students and to leading multidisciplinary research teams in creating new knowledge and transforming that knowledge into useful applications.

“I will spend the next five months on programs and plans currently in development, such as management of the largest student body in the history of the school. In the following period, I will work with Provost Karan Watson as well as many of our deans and system agency directors toward the launch of a new institute at Texas A&M – to serve the state, the nation and the world. I will certainly miss being ‘aggieprez’ (my twitter handle), but I will still be part of this great university and will be serving on the ‘front lines’ of the academy, side-by-side with those I love the most—our students.”

Chancellor John Sharp intends to launch a national search for Dr. Loftin’s replacement and Texas A&M University faculty will be involved in that process.

Tags:

15 Comments to Loftin Announces Plans For The Future

1. His replacement should be a short and easy search. Phil Gramm. There, now that wasn’t hard now was it?

2. George Keesee '80 on July 12th, 2013
  3. We’ll miss you Sir. Very proud to have a great lineage of Presidents to guide our family.

4. Jared Janacek '06 on July 12th, 2013
  5. Bring Back Gates!

6. kyle on July 12th, 2013
  7. Nooooooooo

8. Waylon Brown on July 12th, 2013
  9. So I’m guessing Rick Perry will be the new president eventually?

10. Jason on July 12th, 2013
  11. God bless you and thank you Dr. Loftin, for great leadership, vision, spirit and the ability to listen to all constituents and make a truly informed decision that is the very best for TAMU, its’ Faculty, its’ Students and all of its’ Alumnae. Thank you and Gig ‘em, Sir!!! Wish you had stayed on as aggieprez for 10 more years, but certainly understand the desire to get back to what you truly love doing.

12. Kim V Kennedy '77 on July 12th, 2013
  13. Great Job amd Good Luck “Bow Tie”. Love to have Gates back, but Phil Graham, you have to be kidding, we do not need another “Ken Starr” career politician type!

14. RJ on July 12th, 2013
  15. And…this is why Perry will not run for governor again. He’s getting out while he still has enough moxy to be able to hand pick his successor, and then he intends to slide right into the presidency of TAMU. Aren’t things like this considered unethical by anyone?!?

16. Jericho Masi on July 12th, 2013
  17. Loftin is responsible for so many great achievements to our beloved university.

Thank you Dr. Loftin. We will miss your leadership bowtie!

We certainly hope this is not to make vacancy for Rick Perry…

18. Jon on July 12th, 2013
  19. Dr. Loftin is one of the hardest working people I’ve known, and although I personally hate to see him leave the position, I’m thankful for all the hard work, with outstanding results, that he has put in over his tenure as president. I’m glad that he will be teaching, though; this man is MADE for interaction with students. Thank you, Dr. Loftin, and Gig ‘em.
    Mike B. ’68

20. Michael Beggs on July 12th, 2013
  21. Noooo… Dr. Lofton you’ve a done a great job. Still got so many things to do. Don’t Leave!! Please!

22. Jon Howell '87 on July 13th, 2013
  23. While I am very sad to learn of Dr. Loftin stepping down as president of Texas A&M University, it is only from initial, reactive, fear of seeing great things come to an end. Great things is what has happened for A&M, thanks to his leadership. Obviously our world is filled with many more great Aggies that have the skills and values to do further exemplary things for our fine institution, so I am optimistic that new greatness will be found to pick up where Dr. Loftin will leave off. It will be hard shoes to fill as Dr. Loftin has the passion for the true essence of what being ‘an Aggie’ is all about and modeled and pursued that 24/7. It has been a wonderful blessing for A&M to have Dr. Loftin as our leader these past years. I am also grateful to his wonderful family for the years they supported his dedication to us all in Aggieland. To his family, thank you all so much for the years you shared him with us in leading A&M to achieving great new heights. Respectfully yours, Annette Zahirniak ’85

24. Annette Zahirniak '85 on July 13th, 2013
  25. Dr Loftin has come to embody the spirit of A&M and has helped do more to elevate the image of Aggies and Aggieland than anyone in recent memory, in all aspects college life. I’ve sent 2 students there over the past 6 years (and hope the third chooses A&M in 2 years) and the changes during his tenure have been remarkable. Selfishly, I would like to ask him to stay on but his desire to teach is commendable and should be admired.

Our process had better be outstanding, thorough, and focus on finding an AGGIE who can led the University forward. I graduated from UTD but am invested in A&M. My fondest desire is to earn an Aggie ring someday.

26. Don Van Zandt on July 13th, 2013
  27. So sad to hear. I was so skeptical at first during his tenure, but he’s done so much to put a&m on a national stage… What I fear now is that a certain governor of Texas will be his replacement. This would be a major setback for a school that’s come so far. Please, please, please don’t do it.

28. Aglinz03 on July 13th, 2013
  29. I do not understand why you are leaving the post as Texas A&M President. What is the reason. A&M needs you as President.
    Hope you change your mind. Billy Bob Hale ’52

30. William R. Hale '52 on July 15th, 2013
Share this story

More…