History was made in Aggieland as Texas A&M officially became a part of the Southeastern Conference on July 1, 2012, and the university celebrated with a special ceremony on Monday (July 2) to raise the flags of the SEC schools outside of the McFerrin Athletic Center.
Special events leading up to SEC:
The road to Texas A&M’s move:
- Aug. 25, 2011 -Texas A&M officially notified the Big 12 Conference that it is exploring options related to the institution’s athletic conference affiliation.
- Aug. 31, 2011 -Texas A&M officially notified the Big 12 Conference that the institution will submit an application to join another athletic conference.
- Sept. 7, 2011 – Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin issued a statement regarding the conference situation and addressed the potential move in a video.
- Sept. 25, 2011 – Texas A&M will join the Southeastern Conference effective July 1, 2012, with competition to begin in all sports for the 2012-13 academic year.
- Sept. 26, 2011 – The university formally celebrated its new conference affiliation on campus.
For more on Texas A&M’s move to the SEC, visit the Countdown to the SEC website.