June 22, 2012

Disney Pixar’s “Brave” Created With Help From Texas A&M “Vizzers”

brave2Brave, the latest 3-D movie from Pixar Animation Studios that opens June 22, was made with help from Pixar staffers who are former students at Texas A&M’s Department of Visualization.

Aggie “Vizzers” were instrumental in creating the adventure-filled world in which Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her Scottish kingdom while relying on her bravery and archery skills.

Texas A&M’s Master’s of Science in Visualization program, offered through the Department of Visualization at the College of Architecture, has provided a steady stream of leaders in the growing field of digital and electronic visualization since the program began in 1989.  Graduates have achieved success as creative directors, computer animators, university professors and software designers, with the majority working in the animation, visual effects and electronic gaming industries.

Aggie “Vizzers” can be found among the leading creative talent at Pixar, Blue Sky, Industrial Light & Magic, DreamWorks/PDI, LucasFilm Animation, Reel FX Creative Studios, Walt Disney Animation, Rhythm & Hues and Sony Pictures Imageworks. They have been integral members of the teams behind such recent blockbusters as Cars 2, Rango, Rio, Tangled, Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Tags: , , , , , ,

4 Comments to Disney Pixar’s “Brave” Created With Help From Texas A&M “Vizzers”

1. I always love hearing about Aggies in animation. Since I heard about Sully in Monsters, Inc. being named after our own Sullivan Ross I always hope to find more links to Aggieland in Pixar movies. There certainly will be the opportunity to sneak in a few Aggie references in the upcoming sequel of Monsters where Sully and Mike go to college…placing someone with an Aggie namesake on a college campus! That’s just asking for some fun inside jokes!

2. Catherine on June 24th, 2012
  3. Why not name them?

4. Rob Belcher on June 24th, 2012
  5. Names?

6. Caleb Jackson on June 24th, 2012
  7. Except for the scene where the “bad” bear (Muldoon) was fighting the Mamma (my personal favorite character), the film remained void of the sci-fi animation feel. But during the fighting scene I denoted the mechanical feel of the Muldoon bear’s movements which “jarred” me into academic mode (and reminded me of Tim McLaughlin’s research). I’m sure my two kids, niece, husband (John) and nephew had no idea of it (but I am I microscopist by training). Otherwise, as a momma (and notable Momma Bear) I cried (really) and loved it!

Bravo!

8. Anne Nichols on June 27th, 2012
Share this story

More…