February 2, 2012

Public Hearing Wednesday To Discuss Designated Tuition

Texas A&M University President Dr. R. Bowen Loftin has scheduled a public hearing for 3 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 15 in Room 601 of Rudder Tower for students, faculty, staff and the public to discuss plans for Designated Tuition for the 2012-2013 academic year.

Tags: , , ,

5 Comments to Public Hearing Wednesday To Discuss Designated Tuition

1. Why am I taxed 10% on my tuition bill for underprivileged students to get scholarships when I have to work very hard and bust my butt and borrow money to stay in school. What gives you the right to tax me without legislative authority? I am NOT pleased!

2. Michael Bunch on February 3rd, 2012
  3. I second that!!!!!

4. Cindy on February 8th, 2012
  5. Who said the “underprivileged don’t have to work, bust their butts or borrow money as well? We are all in the same position.

6. Marissa Escamilla on February 9th, 2012
  7. You can gripe and moan all you want, the hard truth is the people that are “under-privileged” will get better jobs, pay more in taxes and eventually raise kids who will do the same. You can’t just think about yourself all the time. You need to look at the big picture. Poor people are worthwhile too.

8. Jack on February 15th, 2012
  9. As far as “underprivileged students” go, I’m in favor of anyone getting a chance to learn, because that’s what being part of a society is — helping out each other to make the best they can of the hand they’re dealt. Not everyone was born to middle class or upper-middle class parents, and not everyone has had the opportunities that I or a lot of my peers have had. If a student has the brains to succeed and money is the issue, then I want them to have the money to go to school. An educated population is better than a clever underclass, which is what the selfish, “f you, I got mine” policies that others seem to have.

In terms of borrowing money, you may want to ask why designated tuition happens in the first place. Usually, it’s because the university cannot get the state legislature to agree to a tuition increase. So the university tacks on the money they need in fees, including designated tuition. Which means that if you have a scholarship or fellowship, or a means to get your tuition waived, you still have to borrow money to pay those fees. It’s a shell game that both the legislature and the administration are complicit in for different reasons, but the ultimate fault lies with a legislature that does not have the courage to spend what they need to to make Texas universities as great as they could be.

10. Matthew Davis on February 15th, 2012
Share this story

More…